2016: Scholarships

2023 — We’re Back!! Forums 2019 Volunteering 2016: Scholarships

• Creator
    Topic
    admin
    Keymaster

Figure out how to decide who gets them and how many.

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by admin.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by admin.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by admin.
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Stacy Sellers
    Participant

I think it would be pretty easy to decide you gets them. How many would depend on how many we have to give away…
    If we are going to do this and ask people to write a reason as to why they deserve a scholarship we should put together an outline of what we are asking them to write. Then we need to get it out there soon. June is around the corner!

Stacy Sellers
    Participant

I think that we will meet our minimum requirement to not go into debt this year. I’m excited to see what we can do with the scholarship potential. Personally I’d like to have some kids at the Conference. I don’t feel like we got specific enough at the meeting as to our requirements for scholarship applicants. Here are some ideas:

*No age limit but youth are especially encouraged (unless we are making kids free then it doesn’t matter)
    *Low income (do we recommend that you make less than $X per year or just trust that they are legit?)
    *Do you have to just have an interest in the didgeridoo or do you have to have your own didge, etc? Do you have to have any experience (didg/music) at all or just enthusiasm?
    *Must write an essay as to why they should get the scholarship with information such as:
    Age and location
    About you
    What excites you about the didgeridoo?
    Why you are excited to attend the Conference?

Deciding who gets them will be easy if we have 6 or more scholarships to give away. I think we could aim for 2-5

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Stacy Sellers.
    admin
    Keymaster

I generally don’t disagree with any of those requirements/recommendations, however I just think “we’ll know it when we see it” might be our best guideline.

An income requirement would be invasive and we all tend to spend however much we make, so there can be poor people with large incomes and vice versa.

Some of it could also be based on merit. Perhaps this person has a history of contributing significantly in some way and are known to be lacking in money.

Stacy Sellers
    Participant

Agreed.

Karen Bishop

I agree too –

admin
    Keymaster

Announcement Draft:

Greeting goes here:

We have a limited amount (should we say how many yet?) of scholarships available for people who cannot afford to attend the Conference. At this point, there are no scholarships available for the Festival but we’re willing to take a look at this as things progress.

The board will decide who is granted a scholarship. The guidelines for applying for a scholarship are as follows:

You must write an essay (as long or as short as you like, be creative!) as to why you feel you should get a scholarship with information such as:
    Age and location
    About you
    What excites you about the didgeridoo?
    Why you are excited to attend the Conference?

People with a history of volunteering/contributing to the gathering may be considered first.

To apply for a scholarship, send your essay in an email to scholarships@indidjin.us

Karen Bishop

I like.

Stacy Sellers
    Participant

I like.
    I would feel more confident in giving out scholarships if we had more money by now. Wess Lewis and I bought memberships and we have both donated them. So if we feel confident in making ends meet, we have at least those 2 as scholarships. Does that make sense? It’s a bit late in the game right now anyway…

admin
    Keymaster

I spoke with Margie briefly today and she voiced the same concern, so it looks like we’ll have to revisit it at the meeting.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘2016: Scholarships’ is closed to new replies.